aunt katie's attic

Pages

Followers

Saturday, August 9, 2008

No drive westbound 5 ... 8-9-08

Weird day at aunt katie's today. No westbound traffic along the lovely stretch of rt.5, due to an accident which closed the lanes that lead to my shop from the east for an entire afternoon. I was actually running an errand and was sitting in traffic waiting for a way out. I eventually went east in the westbound lane, backtracked to one of our wonderful side roads which meanders through the Glenville hills and came back on the other side of the traffic jam. Hard at work the rescue workers, police and medi-vac were. I hope the person who was injured will be ok. As I was travelling over the hill I discovered that an old junkyard on the hill has been cleaned up, and you can actually see the old farmhouse. I made it back to the shop, (a 30 minute errand lasted 1.5 hours), and was intrigued with the virtual silence of the highway. The trains still rolled by on their daily runs, but no cars! It was so eerie. Yes there were some locals from the west and the hills that came in and shopped, but it seems everyone from the east was missing. I guess I just realized how much I took mighty route 5 for granted, a main route, a necessary artery, a way home. Only during the heavy snowstorms of our upstate winters does this road go so silent. Just a little food for thought. Please drive carefully, slow down and enjoy the scenery. Life is precious.

2 comments:

Retromodgirl said...

Hi, Aunt Katie!

I am Abra from the "Retromodgirl" blog. Thank you so much for your kind comments. It's exciting that you have started a blog as well! I adore your store and creativity with vintage goodies,I can't wait to visit again (I am the short, dark-haired girl with the funny hubby).

Regarding Route 5, for those of us who live way out west (Canajoharie), it IS a major lifeline home. For suburbanites, it seems like a Sunday drive kind of road. We do need to appreciate it more. The old highways like Route 66 and Route 20 are fading...I hope this one does not go that way as well.

Thank you again, and I look forward to reading more of your blog (and talking with you and shopping in your INCREDIBLE store, of course!)

aunt katie said...

Thanks, this old highway is like an old friend, leading the way to new ones. Hope to see you soon.
aunt katie